Saturday, February 16, 2008

Stud finders

I hate them. With a passion. They never work consistently, they're not reliable, and they're out to get me. We've tried about 5 different stud finders since owning this house (I don't know how many while we rented), and NONE of them work for me. Q, on the other hand, looks at all my careful little pencil marks, does his stud finder magic, and lo and behold! I wasn't even close. It's humiliating, and, next to working the drill, is the main reason I don't do home improvement projects. I've tried saying "OK, the stud finder says there's a stud here three times, so I'll go ahead and drill with the drill bit the directions call for." And what do I find? NO STUD. And, after Q graciously listens to my rant and finds a stud for me, I use the drill (with the bit recommended by the instructions), and it doesn't work. So, after Q calms down my hysterics, he grabs a bit out of the box (it is also magic as to how the one he grabs works, but the one I use - as instructed by the directions - doesn't work), and proceeds to do the home improvement project for me.

All I wanted to do was hang some drapes in Quin's room and take down the partially destroyed blinds.

Stud finders: 10,856,762,873,647
Lirri: 0

7 comments:

Toki said...

I find it interesting and quite telling that your husband is able to find studs.

He's a stud magnet?

Studs are drawn to him?

Toki said...

Also, I think this is a brilliant idea and will now tell Fizzienub that nothing works when I try it and then ask him to do it for me.

Lirri said...

Are you reduced to hysterics whenever you try to use the friggin' things? I really do try to do these little things myself, and find it quite humiliating that I'm reduced to the stereotypical female for not being able to use power tools or do home improvement projects by myself. Bah.

Q said...

I just used the existing Molly bolts in this case.

They were very tight, but I just screwed the Mollys three times really hard and then stuck magnets on them.

Lirri said...

He screwed three Molly's in my son's bedroom?? Or did he screw Molly three times in my son's bedroom?? I don't know if I want to know what the magnets were used for....

(He always finds the short cuts that I don't think about using - in this case, however, he was the one with the plan, I was just trying to implement it. And he wasn't at home when I was trying to use the stud finder, otherwise I would have asked if they were strong enough for his purpose.)

Toki said...

You've got a regular Bob Vila there.

Nubcakes said...

Nice try, Toki. I've been accused of using that logic on you and I get royally bitched out about it.

My laziness will win over your obtuseness!